What’s This Conference Like?

IMG_20170329_164602

Women with degrees in physics find their way into many fields:  Research, finance, education, information technology,  and industry, for example.  Would you like to hear about their journeys?  You’ll find this and much more when you attend the two and half days of The Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics (CUWiP) at the University of Virginia.

Meet women who started out studying physics and are now at different stages in their career in all sorts of different fields. Network with peers and through events like the career panel or the graduate school and job fair, get to know how to navigate your way through. It is truly a great opportunity to get informed and be inspired!

For the last decade, CUWiP has worked to help undergraduate women thrive in physics by providing them a unique opportunity to engage with and learn from other women in physics at all stages of their physics careers. At CUWiP, budding physicists will experience a professional conference, learn about graduate school and professions in physics, and share invaluable experiences, advice, and ideas with other women.

Sounds great! Can I register to attend?

If you’re interested in attending the conference, you must first submit an application.  You’ll be told whether you are accepted, wait-listed or declined according to the priorities listed on our application page.

Can I connect with those going to the conference before arriving?
Yes!  We have set up a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/UVACUWiP2018/

How do I get to the conference, and where do I stay?

Please see our Travel and Accommodations page.

I’ve done some research. Can I present my research at the conference?

Yes. Please see our poster session information.

Will there be resources available for attendees with disabilities?

We will request information on disability status on the registration form.  Please contact us in advance at cuwip@virginia.edu if you have unusual requirements, and we will work to accommodate you.

What if I have dietary restrictions?

We will request dietary restriction information on the registration form. If you believe your dietary needs are unusual, please contact us and we will work to accommodate you.

What should I wear to the conference?

The conference has no dress code, and we encourage students to be comfortable. There will be a plated banquet on Saturday evening, and many students enjoy dressing up for this event.  You may wish to look at photos of previous conferences to see what students typically wear.   Charlottesville can be chilly in January, and the conference venues are spread around the university, so good walking shoes and clothes for bad weather are a necessity.

I have anxiety, depression, etc, and I am worried about attending this conference. What should I do?
Please contact us at cuwip@virginia.edu if you are comfortable, so we are aware. We will encourage you to try your best during the networking opportunities, but if you need to be paired up with someone you know (either in rooming or meals), please let us know so we can try to accommodate you. We hope that you will be able to comfortably attend the conference and get something from it, but we understand that everyone needs to go at their own pace.

I am transgender/gender-fluid/genderqueer/non-binary etc, can I attend this conference?

Yes, all genders are welcome to attend this conference. If you have questions or concerns about the housing for this conference, please contact us at cuwip@virginia.edu.

What if I need child care?

Please contact us at cuwip@virginia.edu to discuss your needs.