“The Slow Way Home” Screened in Europe

slow-way-posterSept23v2The documentary film “Slow Way Home” was screened at three universities in Europe during academic year 2018-19: the University of Oxford on November 23, 2018; the University of Hamburg on November 26, 2018; the University of Edinburgh on February 26, 2019; and the University of Sheffield on May 10, 2019.

The film was broadcast on PBS stations across the US in May and June 2016 and was screened at several campuses in the United States and in Japan in 2016-2018.

Synopsis: 

The way children travel to school structures daily life for families around the world—but differs dramatically.  In Japan, 98 percent of children walk to school every day, unaccompanied by a parent.  In the United States, just 13 percent of children walk or bike to school, and most are driven to school by a parent.

The Slow Way Home explores this divergence, examining how American families have largely given up on keeping our streets and public spaces safe enough for children, while Japanese communities have mobilized to keep their streets safe and walkable, not only for children but for everyone in society.

Seen through both a historical and contemporary framing, The Slow Way Home is an uplifting examination of differences in culture that provides both insight into a distressing trend in American society and simultaneously offers hope for change.

You can view the trailer and order a DVD via this site: Trailer

5 thoughts on ““The Slow Way Home” Screened in Europe

1. Katherine

I am interested in seeing this film after a friend mentioned seeing part of it on PBS. Is there a way for me to view it as I am not in the areas where there have been screenings? Thank you!

Reply
  2. Peter

Len,
    I was delighted recently to learn that you’d chosen “In the Neighborhood” as required reading for the “Mobility and Community” Forum. I hope the students find it of value.
    Also, as I’m living part of the year now in Washington, DC, can you let me know if there’ll be a screening in the DC area of “Slow Way Home”?
    Again, thanks for letting my book be part of this creative Forum experience.
    best,
    Peter Lovenheim

Reply