About #SC4SCUVA

130408-social-4

About The Course
This interdisciplinary and multimedia course explores the origins, dynamics, and consequences of social media involvement/inclusion in social and civil rights movements. This course will cover the history and importance of evolving technology (astronomy, telecommunication, television, internet, etc) and its applications by disenfranchised groups from antebellum America to the present day.

Course Objective
This course plans to examine the following concepts and questions:
What constitutes a social/civil rights movement?
In what way does social communication play a part in starting, maintaining and ending a social/civil rights movements?
How does social media/social communication contribute to change?
How does the various disciplines of the humanities (art, music, theater, film, etc) contribute to the life and effectiveness of a social movement?

Course Activity/Project Plan
Course readings and lectures drawn from case studies on civil rights, women’s rights, gay rights, the environment, African and African American relations, globalization, apartheid, democratization, religious and political affiliation, and peace.

Individual assignments and group projects will require students to contact and collaborate with people and organizations outside of the University of Virginia community. Using elements of social media/social networking (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube, etc) students will have to forge relationships and network with people beyond our immediate reach (i.e. A group presentation on Ebola may include the 3-4 students in the class, covering elements of the topic in the class, while the required remote group member may be a student in Cameroon or a doctor ‘on the ground’ in Liberia who will participate in the presentation via Skype, Facetime, Oovoo, etc).

Course Outcome
The outcome of this course will be an encouragement to the students to engage in the global community and participate in social networking and social change with purpose. This course is designed to give students a historical context for the creativity and ingenuity of all human and how we use that creativity and expression for change.

3 thoughts on “About #SC4SCUVA

1. I have watched this Humans of New York story unfold over the past week or so. It started with a young man’s comments about the person who has influenced him the most–his principal, Ms. Lopez. In a later post we met Ms. Lopez and learned about the school, which is in a disenfranchised neighborhood in Brooklyn. Then the photographer/blogger from Humans of New York created a fund-raising campaign to help send students from the school to visit Harvard. A scholarship fund is also being created. This is an exciting example of how social communication is currently being used to change the lives of the young scholars from Mott Hall Bridges Academy.

2. Blog Post State of the Union
    The State of the Union Address has always fascinated me because I am always surprised by the public response. This year I decided to descend to black twitter to hear their take on the State of the Union Address . After hours of pilfering through the internet I was able to find some hilarious but also thought provoking tweets
    I think social media is very important during highly publicized events such as the State of the Union Address because it captures what people are feeling the moment they are able to digest the coverage. Twitter acted as an avenue that people used to broadcast their concerns, approvals, and disdain for political movements/events that ravish our country. I think that Twitter has enhanced the watching experience of the SOTU because it allows you to see what and how people consume the information that is put in front of them. In focusing my gaze on the black twitter I was able to physically see the issues that Black America thought was important but the president failed to address.
    After seeing articles and clips about the state of the Union and the response from black twitter, I picked up on something important that evening .I think Black twitter highlighted is that there seems to be a disconnect between the wants of the public (particularly the black public) and the perception of the President’s influence on those wants. For example, a lot of people where discontent with the President’s address on Ferguson, New York, and Black lives matter movement. I thought about how the president could gloss over such life altering events that sparked outrage in our country everywhere and came to the conclusion of audience perception. I believe that the president had to be careful in not marginalizing the issues of police brutality and black lives matter (hence the statement of “all lives matter”); he had to tip the fine line because let’s not forget that the State of the Union is addressing white middle class America because they are the targeted audience. So my question is to you readers and to myself is how we as a people use the avenue of Twitter to propel our grievances with the way issues to the black community are being handled?

3. The State of the Union address and Twitter

As we all know, social media plays a huge role in our culture. Numerous events are quickly picked up by those who are users of social media and diverse opinions are formed. Then, these morally, factually, and culturally intertwined viewpoints are broadcasted for others to read and debate upon. On January 20th, this years State of the Union address played a prominent role on Twitter. President Barrack Obama, through charismatic gestures within his speech, attracted a lot of attention to himself and his reflection on the current state of our union. Serious debates created by differing opinions were held between typically liberal and conservative users of Twitter. Others turned to humor, but nevertheless brought attention to the address, an account by the name of Mexican Mitt Romney (@MexicanMitt) tweeted, “BTW WHEN I AM PRESIDENT ALL SPACE MISSIONS WILL BE ON BRAZZERS.” Others were just happy that young people on social media where taking the time to educate themselves about current and previous affairs throughout the Obama administration, “I don’t even care what opinion they’re voicing, I just love the fact that young individuals are investing the time to listen to #SOTU15” says @maddscook. Many users seemed to enjoy President Obama’s playful comments, such as “I know because I won both of them” regarding the election, along with the winks and smirks that he gave his crowd. Many statistics were given regarding economic growth in the United States, along with higher graduation rates and rates of students who complete college. However, along with other Twitter users, I do think it is important to remember that a partial reason why graduation rates are higher is that without a college education it has become increasingly difficult to get a decent job in our society. I believe that veterans should receive the highest quality care, and from what I have witnessed on Twitter I believe that both ends of the political spectrum can agree on that. President Obama tugged on heartstrings by bringing in the newlywed couple who had a hard time buying a home with their newborn on the way, strengthening his point and gaining sympathy for those living that way. Overall, through charisma and a positive outlook, there was a very positive response to many aspects of the State of the Union address.