I am delighted about your interest in Mindfulness and Compassion: Living Fully Personally and Professionally (NUIP/RELB 3030). Here is what you need to do to request permission to enroll:
First, to help you decide whether this course will meet your expectations, please look at the course description and assignments. These include a combination of scholarly investigation of each weekly topic, paired with regular contemplative practice that will include different meditations, application of mindfulness and prosocial practices in everyday life, and regular reflective writing. Please also read the advice from former students about how you can get most out of this class.
If, after reviewing the course information, you would like to enroll, please send me an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). Include in your opening the following: your name, year in college, major, along with your academic and non-academic interests. Then please respond to the questions listed below. You do not need to compose a polished essay; I expect you to be able to write this in one sitting. Length does not need to be longer than 1 or 1.5 pages:
- What comes to your mind when you hear the words mindfulness, contemplation, and prosocial behaviors?
- What are your thoughts about approaching the subject of the course not only as an academic exploration, but also as a springboard to establishing personal practices that foster healthy and compassionate living?
- Why do you wish to take this course? What do you hope to gain from it? Given that the course will be small (20 students) and will create an active and intimate learning community, what do you plan to contribute to that community? What risks do you plan to take?
- What is your reaction to the course description and requirements? Are you willing to commit to meditating or engaging in other contemplative practices at least four times a week for 15 to 45 min?
- Lastly, can you confirm your ability to participate in a required daylong mindfulness retreat on Saturday, March 31, 2018, 9:30AM -3:00PM?
To apply you need to complete two steps: (1) submit your application email to me; (2) request permission to enroll in SIS under NUIP3030 or RELB3030. I will accept applications until the course is filled, and will begin reviewing applications on December 1 and will notify all applicants of enrollment decisions by December 9.
In reviewing the applications, I will look for a mix of students, that is, a variety of intellectual and personal interests in the topic of our class, as well as an ability to fully commit to the course and regularly engage in class and on homework (contemplative) practices.