Week 13 Post Class

This week you and/or your classmates practiced pitching ideas on ways to enhance the institution. What are your overall reactions? What was this process like for you? What did you learn? What surprised you? What challenges did you face? What revisions will you make to your pitch and/or proposal? What do you hope to see next session? How are you feeling about the last session of class? Given all that you know about how college works, what do you think about the pitches in general? Remember to relate this to what you read this week or for previous sessions.

During our pitch proposal this week, I learned a lot about my classmates projects and their ideas to enhance the University. For our pitch, I think Annie and I need to focus our proposal more. Also, while we were focusing on a lot of the underlying issues and unfair advantages of Undergraduate Admissions, I think we need to focus our project more on what the main underlying problem is for our final presentation. A lot of the questions our classmates were asking us about our pitch were some logistical questions that I do not necessarily think we need to add to our pitch, but I think it is important to be able to answer these questions if we are asked. Initially, Annie and I also did not think it was necessary to include a PowerPoint with our pitch, but after reading Guy Kawasaki’s “The Only 10 Slides You Need In Your Pitch” I decided that a PowerPoint with visuals would definitely benefit our proposal, so we are currently working on completing that for our final pitch. In his article, he suggests a layout for how to organize our PowerPoint, including adding a “Problem/Opportunity” slide followed by a “Value Proposition Slide” etc. that I think is a great layout for a PowerPoint. I noticed that many of our classmates loosely followed this model for their PowerPoint’s. Also, when reading Ben Yoskovitz’s “15 Quick Pitch Tips for Kick Ass Presentations” I liked how he discussed “Telling a Story” as an extremely beneficial aspect of a Pitch. He states that “[s]tories can be extremely varied, but your best chance of creating a story is near the beginning, as you’re describing the problem that you solve. Make that problem relevant to me and I’ll pay much more attention” (Yoskovitz). Overall, both articles helped solidify my understanding of how to present a Pitch, so I feel confident that after analyzing the feedback our classmates, and Professor Connors, provided that Annie and I will be able to present a great pitch next Thursday.

Works Cited

15 Quick Pitch Tips for Kick Ass Presentations

The Only 10 Slides You Need in Your Pitch