Title: Physical and Virtual Manipulatives in Engineering EducationPhysical and virtual manipulatives, or objects that students use to learn, each have unique affordances for learning engineering concepts. This talk provides an overview of a series of studies and projects that seek to understand how various physical (tangible in the real world), virtual (existing in computer software), and mixed-reality (connected physical and virtual) technologies can benefit STEM education.
We are kicking the next semester off in style as GESC is hosting our second annual winter formal at Tempo on the Downtown Mall on January 10th starting at 10:00 pm. Please see the attached flyer for additional details
Join us and our E-School Alumni as we celebrate homecoming and root for the Hoo’s against North Carolina! There will be free food, drinks, and a GESC sponsored Cornhole Tournament with prizes!
There will also be an event on Sunday in Darden Court hosted by the E-School Alumni Association as well!
Tuesday, October 7th @ 5pm
CHE 005 (Chemical Engineering Building)
Refreshments provided: Revolutionary Soup
Speakers from UVA Innovation will discuss the intersection of academia and industry: patentable research, industry funding, and startups. Specifically, topics will include:
- Translational research: bringing research from the lab into the market, including how to determine if research is patentable, how to network with industry to find a market for your research, and how to transition from research to the business environment.
- Research funding opportunities: outside of academia, including how to find industry money to pursue research ideas and goals
- Creating a company: how to start a business, including what heirarchy is needed to start a business, what steps are needed to patent or mass-produce a novel idea, and which individuals and groups to bring on-board (legal departments, accountants, investors, etc).
UVA Innovation speakers for the evening include:
- Joshua Jeanson, Licensing Manager
- Sharon Krueger, Program Director, Innovation Grants and Relationships
- Matt Bednar, Licensing Associate
Welcome (back) to another fantastic year at UVA. To help everyone get smoothly into the flow of classes, work and sleepless nights, GESC is holding our summer BBQ on Thursday, August 28th in Darden Court. We will have catering from Jinx BBQ and Wayside Chicken with options for everybody. Please remember to bring your ID for drinks!
GESC Summer Kickball Tournament!!
July 19th, 11:00 a.m., The Park
Food and drinks will be provided!
If you don’t have a team, DON’T WORRY!! The tournament is informal and we will help you get on the field one way or another. Come socialize and enjoy the beautiful summer weather.