Russia’s Reaction to 9/11

With the recent 10-year anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy, I thought it would be interesting to research how Russia reacted to the terrorist attacks on the United States. Russian President Vladimir Putin was actually the first world leader to contact President Bush to express his condolences. He exclaimed after being notified of the September 11th attacks, “The entire international community should unite in the struggle against terrorism…this is a blatant challenge against humanity.”

When I was researching I came across a memorial given to the United States from Russia in memory of the September 11th, 2011 terrorist attacks.

Russian artist, Zurab Tsereteli designed a 175 ton memorial to dedicate to the victims of 9/11, which was put into place on the 5th anniversary.  The 100 feet tall bronze statue is located in Bayoone, New Jersey across from the statue of Liberty and Ground Zero. The memorial looks like two jagged towers with a 40 foot stainless steel teardrop hanging in the middle. The art piece, “To the Struggle Against World Terrorism” was not taken with many open arms, as people believed, “it was an insensitive, self-aggrandizing piece of pompousness by one of the world’s blatant self-promoters.” Famous for his unpopular memorials and art works scattered around the world, especially in Russia, Tsereteli decided to fund the project and follow it through until it was finished. He described that he envisioned this work when he shed tears in Moscow after seeing the devastation and people gathered around the American Embassy.

The eleven-sided base has the names of 3,024 victims inscribed in the black granite, but even that seemed to draw controversy. Supposedly the memorial is not accurate as there are 40 extra names that could not be accounted for in any official list.

President Vladimir Putin attended the unveiling of the “Teardrop Memorial” in Bayonne, New Jersey and the memorial had inscribed, “Gift From the People of Russia-President Vladimir Putin.”

I was so surprised to find this memorial, as it seems few people even know it exists. It made me start thinking about how important the media is to our society and around the world to keep us informed. Some people were unhappy with installation of the monument, and the media did not do it justice with news coverage. We rely on the media to give us accurate information, and if they don’t, we are totally out of the loop. How many other things occur and exist that we are in the dark about? I find it a pretty scary to think about!

I had originally been researching Russia’s and Chechnya’s terrorist dilemmas, but I found that this information was better suited for this week’s blog.

FRANKSTON, JANET. “Teardrop Sculpture in Bayonne.” Russia Blog. Associated Press,. Web. 21 Sept. 2011. <http://www.russiablog.org/2006/07/russia_donates_911_memorial_to.php>.

Finnegan, William. “On the Waterfront: Monument .” The New Yorker. Web. 21 Sept. 2011. <http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2007/06/25/070625ta_talk_finnegan>.

“International Reaction.” September 11 News.com. Web. 21 Sept. 2011. <http://www.september11news.com/InternationalReaction.htm>.

5 comments for “Russia’s Reaction to 9/11

1. Pingback: singapore emba
  2. Pingback: Swivel Bar Stools
  3. Madigan
    September 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm

This is fascinating, Annan. I had no idea this memorial existed (easy to see it on google images). I wonder how this gift connects with Russia’s own engagement with terrorism. Is it an attempt to foster acceptance of its own antiterrorism policies? Definitely worth thinking about more, and helpful to understanding 9/11 as a complex global event.

4. Cassandra Jones
    September 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Annan–I thought that this post was really interesting because as Americans, we know how much the tragedy of 9/11 affected us, but what we don’t realize is that it impacted the globe as a whole. As a traveller abroad and a foreign exchange student in Norway for my junior year, it’s surprising how many people were curious and sympathetic about the tragedy and I would hear about what that specific day meant to them.