Syria Post Emergency Law

I can’t imagine what it would be like to live in a country under emergency law for 50 years. It’s such an interesting time for Syrians because their formerly docile state has been infected by the passionate protests of their neighbors, and Syrian citizens have realized that they too have the power to change the regime they have long lived under. Passionate and peaceful protesting has resulted in the deaths of over a thousand civilians, and many more imprisonments. Although the pressure of civil unrest accomplished the lifting of Emergency Law, violence from the Syrian Army against its citizens only seems to be getting worse. Recently, the Attorney General of the city of Hama resigned in protest to the human rights violations of the Assad regime.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRZsoAMtIA[/youtube]
Because I know so little about the historical complexities between the government of Syria and its people (which seems to encompass religious conflicts as well) I want to approach this region from the perspective of human rights. The New York Times has a chronology site that details the history of the uprisings in Syria, and I plan to use that as a starting point to orient myself with the radical changes that have occurred in this Arab Spring country; hopefully this information will reveal changes in the government’s relationship with its citizens and their conception of human rights.