“We, as concerned students, in order to stimulate cultural and educational awareness, represent the social and political concerns of the African-American student body, and to establish a more perfect union between various components of the African-American community, multi-cultural community, and the University community do hereby establish the Black Student Alliance of the University of Virginia.”
The purposes of the Black Student Alliance shall be as follows:
1. To articulate the problems and to voice the concerns of Black students at the University of Virginia.
2. To conduct political action against unjust policies or programs mandated by the University of Virginia.
3. To serve as an umbrella organization for all Black student organizations on the grounds of the University of Virginia.
4. To serve as a liaison between Black students, undergraduate and graduate, Black faculty, Black alumni and the administration of the University of Virginia.
5. To establish communication within the Black community and to aid in achieving the common goals of Black students at UVa and Black community in Charlottesville.